For information about PHN services, events and e-newsletters:
- South Eastern Melbourne Primary Health Network (SEMPHN) – semphn.org.au
- Eastern Melbourne Primary Health Network (EMPHN) – emphn.org.au
Policy, guidelines & diagnostic criteria
- Policy for maintenance pharmacotherapy for opioid dependence (pdf)
Department of Health and Human Services pharmacotherapy policy for providers (GPs and pharmacists), September 2016.
- National Guidelines for Medication Assisted Treatment of Opioid Dependence (pdf)
Commonwealth Department of Health, April 2014.
- DSM-V criteria for the diagnosis of Opioid Use Disorder (pdf)
Diagnostic tool for Opioid Use Disorder, the clinical term for opioid dependence. For more information about DSM-V please visit www.dsm5.org.
- Buprenorphine and naloxone prescribing guidelines (pdf)
A guide to assist medical practitioners in prescribing buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone®)
- Buprenorphine/Naloxone – Safe Prescribing
A 16 minute online training video to assist medical practitioners in prescribing buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone®).
- Management of Opioid Dependence: Best Practice, Business Model
A face-to-face educational session for practice managers and other practice staff to increase understanding and skills around managing alcohol and other drug presentations, particularly pharmacotherapy, in the General Practice setting. More information under Practice Managers and practice staff.
A web-based portal for health professionals containing treatment pathways for specific conditions. This portal was developed for the western Victoria region, however has comprehensive information about:
- Opioid dependence
- Dependence on combination analgesics containing codeine (CACC), also known as over-the-counter codeine products
- Patient requests for combination analgesics containing codeine (CACC)
- Drug seekers
- Opioid pharmacotherapy dispensing – information for pharmacists (setting up pharmacotherapy in the pharmacy)
Links to other organisations and supports
- DirectLine (Part of Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre)
http://www.directline.org.au/ 1800 888 236
A 24 hour confidential counselling and treatment referral service for patients affected by alcohol and other drugs. Contains a database of pharmacotherapy prescribers and pharmacies.
- Drug and Alcohol Clinical Advisory Service (DACAS)
http://www.dacas.org.au/ 1800 812 804
A 24 hour specialist clinical advice helpline for health professionals treating patients with alcohol and other drug concerns, including pharmacotherapy.
- Pharmacotherapy Advocacy, Mediation and Support (PAMS)
http://hrvic.org.au/pharmacotherapy/ 1800 443 844
A support service for consumers and health professionals to assist with pharmacotherapy concerns such as agreements or payment challenges.
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) pharmacotherapy page
Contains all pharmacotherapy-related DHHS documentation including the Policy for maintenance pharmacotherapy for opioid dependence, forms, supplementary resources and information about training.
- The First Stop
The First Stop is a website for people affected by a friend or family member’s alcohol or other drug use. It includes information on where to find quality support and treatment services which are funded by the Victorian and Australian governments.
- Medication Support and Recovery Service (MSRS)
The Medication Support and Recovery Service (MSRS) provides support and recovery for medication misuse. It is an initiative of the Connect4Health consortium and is fully funded by the federal government through the Eastern Melbourne Primary Health Network.
- Pharmacotherapy Area-Based Networks (PABNs)
The Pharmacotherapy Area-Based Networks (PABN) website providing information and contacts to each of the five Victorian Pharmacotherapy Area-Based Networks.